Hey Whorer fans! A reminder that we will NOT release a new podcast episode in July. However, we are asking for your help in choosing films for 2017’s remaining episodes. Feel free to write something in, but keep in mind our commitment to only feature films created by people of color, women, and LGBTQ folks. You have until the end of the week to vote.
Nashville Film Festival is back this week and so is our favorite genre track – the Graveyard Shift! Here are the features we plan to check out:
A Closer Walk with Thee
BirdBoy: The Forgotten Children
Without a Name
The Night Watchmen
Much appreciation to those at Con Nooga who showed up to chat Twin Peaks on the last day of the con. Presentation info can be found here:
If you want more Twin Peaks, stay tuned for the debut of our survival guide as we prepare for the upcoming Season 3 premiere!
Happy Women in Horror Month! All throughout February we’ll be drawing attention to the women behind the camera who contribute to the genre and fill our lives with great art. Resist stereotypes! Take part in the agenda:
- Share our PSA – New year, new public service announcement! Watch our 2017 tribute to women in horror.
- Listen to our new podcast episode – Tune in on February 13 to hear Episode 97 of The Whorer Podcast. This year we’re taking up analysis of Kasi Lemmons’ southern gothic tale, Eve’s Bayou.
- Explore our archives – Many of our episodes outside of Women in Horror Month focus on women creators. A complete list is provided below.
- Celebrate with the entire community – See what others are doing and create your own events! Visit womeninhorrormonth.com.
American Mary | American Psycho | The Babadook | Beloved | Blood Diner | The Commune | The Countess | Felt | A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night | Ginger Snaps | Graphic Sexual Horror | A Gun for Jennifer | Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows | Jennifer’s Body | Ladies of the House | The Lure | Lost Girl | Maleficent | Maskoun | The Oracle | Pet Sematary | Pet Sematary 2 | The Shining | The Slumber Party Massacre | The Strange Color of Your Body’s Tears | Suspiria | Titus | Trouble Every Day | Valerie and Her Week of Wonders
As The Whorer celebrates 5 years of podcasting, we’d like to share our goals and reaffirm our values for the new year. In 2017, The Whorer will…
- only feature films created by people of color, women, and LGBTQ folks for monthly podcast episodes.
- report on at least 1 new-to-us fan convention or film festival.
- continue to present and run panels about feminism and horror films at local (Tennessee) fan conventions.
- continue to self-educate and be mindful of our own implicit bias when reviewing films.
- continue to critique and challenge the kyriarchy through our focus on film and its industry.
Another year of Geek Media Expo has come and gone. Thanks to those of you who attended Fem and Lizbeth’s panel about gender in the Twin Peaks universe. The slides for Chug-a-lug, Donna: The Women of Twin Peaks can be viewed via the link below.
Coverage of our entire con experience will be available soon. You can also expect more Twin Peaks chatter as we gear up for the 2017 revival.
Obligatory Halloween event updates!
October 10: We’re celebrating Halloween with a listener request double feature – Mary Lambert’s Pet Sematary and Pet Sematary 2.
October 20: Join us in live-tweeting the new Rocky Horror Picture Show! 7:00PM CST on Fox! #rockyhorror @RockyHorrorFOX
October 28-30: You can expect business as usual at our favorite local fan con, Geek Media Expo. In addition to participating as press, Fem will be on a Twin Peaks panel with Lizbeth from Horror Metal Punk Girl (details forthcoming). Come hear us fangirl all over the series and see Fem’s cosplay. All shenanigans will be broadcast on Twitter (#Geekoween #GMXv8 @thewhorer) and recapped in early November.